Friday, January 29, 2010

Why I oppose Washington State's HB2401





Hello, my name is Jordan and I, admittedly, hate talking politics. However, in the past 6 months there has been a good number of states introducing medicinal marijuana legalization or decriminalization bills into their respective congresses. Those bills appeal to a certain interest of mine and I have begun following said bills through their (usually short) lives.

Currently 14 states have legalized medicinal marijuana and 11 states have decriminalized it. The most recent action on this topic has taken place in Washington state. This is in the form of HB2401 (non medicinal marijuana legalization) & HB 1177 and its Senate counterpart SB 5615 (marijuana decriminalization). House bill 2401 allows the sale of marijuana, in liquor stores, to those 21 and older. While this bill may appeal to most cannabis enthusiasts, I have a problem with it. That is, I believe that selling pot out of liquor stores isn't the right answer, for the reason that marijuana should have no connotations with alcohol. It simply wouldn't be fair to it, marijuana is non harmful and even medicinal, while alcohol is addictive and menacing.

Would it really be fair to sell something thats used to treat chronic pain, Multiple Sclerosis, and Cancer, alongside something with no medicinal value? Doing so, in my opinion, would only further perpetuate the negative connotations that cannabis carries with it.

That is why I am happy Washington voted against HB2401, 6-2 opposed. Heres a link to a news article. Still, congrats for trying Washington.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting no doubt. I find it funny that you'd rather not have legalization at all than have it coupled with alcohol. Most users probably would like legalization in any form, but I almost applaud you for looking at in a more intelligent manner. I'm not a smoker and never will be, and you know that, but I don't see anything wrong with marijuana verses cigarettes except that the former is illegal. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

    ReplyDelete