Sunday, December 27, 2009

KEVIN'S BEST OF 2009

With the year coming to an end, it seems appropriate to highlight some of the best (or most notable) things about the past 365 days...

PASSION PIT: MANNERS


I don’t think I’ve gone a day since this album came out without listening to at least part of it. It’s my favorite album of 2009 for sure.


SWINE FLU

Add Video
For something that had more hype than The Dark Knight, the global swine flu pandemic really didn’t deliver. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing...

CHUCK PALAHNIUK’S PYGMY

Satire really doesn’t get any fiercer than this novel. My favorite book of 2009, of course I didn’t really read any other new books this year either.


FANTASTIC MR. FOX


Stop-Motion movies don’t come out nearly as often as they should, and in a year saturated with 3-D CGI releases Wes Anderson’s incredibly sharp adaptation of the Roald Dhal children's book was a breath of fresh air.


INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS


Quentin Tarantino really outdid himself with this one. This has got to be one of the best written movies in the past decade and the actors pulled off their roles without a single hitch. The ending was more than satisfying.


DISTRICT 9


This was one of the best science fiction films I’ve seen in a while. Creatively made and it had some pretty awesome special effects too.



POLITICS


Ranging from zany conspiracy theories to, well, more zany conspiracy theories, this has been probably the most politically obnoxious year in a while. 2009 was the year where almost anything could be used as a political platform and was, everyone seemed to have an opinion about things they didn’t know much about. Stupid knows no boundaries.


YEASAYER: AMBLING ALP


This single is so much more than I expected from Yeasayer (I expected a lot too)
I can’t wait for Odd Blood to be released (officially).


HEAP.

This November Heap had it’s very first post, that’s worthy of mention I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment