Sunday, February 28, 2010

Essay: Ethnocide, or the Death of Language and Conversation





To coincide with one direction that I think would be beneficial for the Heap to head in, I'm posting an essay I wrote last semester for my Composition class. The essay is on Eugene Ionesco's Absurdist play, "The Bald Soprano" (a personal favorite of mine). I hope everyone will take a few minutes to read it and then leave some thoughts, it certainly would be appreciated.
Here's a performance of a scene from the play (a little hard to hear, but the best adaptation I could find on youtube).
The essay can be found here.

*Picture is from a visual treatment of the play by Robert Massin. Others are worth looking at, and can be found here. Sorry, its in French.

-Jordan C. Ozubko

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful analysis of that play, and a very interesting topic indeed. I will agree with Lonesco to a degree. Most words today hold little weight because people do not want to listen, but would rather speak. Therefore, if your partner isn't actually listening but merely waiting to speak, all the words spoken become white noise. However, in regards to certain subjects, some people cannot help but listen attentively. For example, death is one of the few subjects that can cause the average man's ears to perk up. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete